Re: "keep non-free" proposal

On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 11:47:16AM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 09:48:38AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Well, i would argue that if debian devel are involved in the maintaining
> > of the non-free packages and the non-free infrastructure, then it seems
> > evident that even if you don't attach the debian name to it, it is still
> > part of the debian project.
>
> That's a really slipperly slope here. What if Debian Developers in
> proprietary companies make non-free binary .deb packages for their
> companies products, would that still be part of the Debian project? What
> about other unofficial stuff, like .debs on people.debian.org, or
> backports at www.backports.org? Is that 'part of the debian project'?
> Where do you draw the line?

Well, non-free stuff is evil, and having it packaged is a threat to free
stuff in the long run, don't you think so ?

> I find your reasoning highly irrational. 'Who thinks that apt-get is
> part of Debian will believe non-free.org is part of Debian, too. Those
> who don't will also believe that debian/non-free is seperate from
> debian/main'.
>
> I don't believe this is true at all. Please show evidence that people
> think apt-get.org is part of the Debian project first, before you use
> this as a carte blanche.

I have encountered people who thought so, or at least who didn't make
official separation. Also, the non-free removal proponent are also
subject to this misconception, citing the java packages as example of
non-free package, altough it has been ages since we distributed it, well
in any modern version at least, the 1.1 jdk in non-free doesn't really
count, just as prove that nobody cared enough to have it purged or
something.

> > Yes, you have proposed making my life, as packager of a non-free
> > package, which incidentally i need to do my debian work, more difficult,
> > this diminishing my time i could otherwise dedicate to debian.
>
> If you can't cope with uploading stuff to non-free.org instead to
> ftp.debian.org, I can't help you. I really fail to see how this would be
> so difficult at all.

Well, is there a non-free.org for me to upload it to ? I don't see
evidence of such, and i also don't see one being created in a way which
will not diminish the amount of ressources going to the debian project
in the near future. What i object to is that somehow the non-free
removal proponent expect me to set it up, and no, i don't have time for
it. And if the remove non-free vote pass, i will much earlier negotiate
with my upstream for them to distribute my packages than use a posible
non-free.org archive, which i do believe is not a good thing for debian
to support in the long run, and i say debian, as in the debian
developers who are going to use ressource to make it happen.

Friendly,

Sven Luther