Re: Just a single Question for the Candidates

Hi, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:

> Helen Faulkner <helen_ml_faulkner@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>> Partly it's knowing that I'm going to be dealing with a man (almost
>> certainly), and he may assume I don't know what I'm doing, and he may
>> put me down or be condescending or unkind as a result.
>
> Are you assuming that all men will do this?

Note the word "may".

> The men who do might well be
> operating from a negative stereotype of women.  But it sounds to me as if
> you are countering with your own negative stereotype of men.

You know, that mail clearly shows that you're part of the problem here.

The fear she talks about is _hardly_ uncommon. It's the reason why there
are women-only computer courses, for example.

I would certainly argue that the fear is mostly unfounded, but that
doesn't make it any less real. It's a cultural thing -- have you ever
spent any time in a typical high school science class? *Ugh*.

--
Matthias Urlichs