Re: "keep non-free" proposal

Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> Do you really believe having a non-free archive on the debian
> infrastructure is in any way different than having a separate
> non-free.org archive?

Yes.  How many times do I have to answer this question?  Yes, it's
different.

> What does it change in the long run?

It stops having the "debian" name attached to non-free packages, it
stops debian being a distributor of non-free packages, and it stops
the use of debian resources to support the non-free packages.

> And, what do you think of people who need to run 3D graphics, or need to
> run java? They will go to apt-get.org, which is as debian as it can be,
> isn't it, carrying the apt-gte name, and download the third party
> package. Or go to non-free and use it, or go to non-free.org and get it.
> In how far does this improve the freeness of debian for these users ?

Debian is already 100% Free Software. None of that changes the
freeness of Debian; the proposal here has nothing to do with making
Debian more or less free.

What it changes is Debian doing this other distracting thing, which is
not part of the Debian distribution: maintaining the non-free archive
on our resources, and distributing it in a way which causes users to
become mistaken and think it's part of Debian.

> > nothing else.  You have already described the current state as one in
> > which non-free is part of Debian--indicating that the compromise
> > position we thought we had has more or less entirely broken down.
> > Anthony Towns as well has now said that the compromise is meaningless.
>
> Yeah, and ? Do you really think this may change once non-free is moved
> to non-free.org ? Please be serious.

Yes.  People will still be confused perhaps, but I believe that an
awful lot fewer will do.

> And, you conveniently forget about section 5 of our social contract,
> which you agreed to when you became a debian maintainer, and now that
> you don't need netscape anymore or whatever other non-free package, you
> want to get ride of it.

I haven't proposed getting rid of any packages.  Removing non-free
from the Debian servers doesn't mysteriously cause the bits to vanish.

Thomas