Re: tb's questions for the candidates

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 11:16:42PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Do you believe instead that their stated willingness to contribute
> automatically justifies risking the QA/MIA workload associated with
> cleaning up after the developer if they disappear again?

No, I think we need to be able to do QA tasks anyway -- for packages like
cruft and ifupdown to use examples that don't need to offend anyone else
-- and I don't think there's any benefit to be had from making it hard
for people to provide valuable contributions.

> Why would
> trying to assure ourselves that developers will follow procedures be a
> punishment, rather than an act of self-preservation?

If it were an act of self-preservation, it'd need to be applied
consistently. Badly maintained packages cause the exact same problems
whether that's due to someone focussing their efforts elsewhere within
Debian, or outside of it.

Cheers,
aj

             Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we could.