Re: Just a single Question for the Candidates

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 09:48:13PM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> The alternative is that there is nothing interesting here. It's not a
> very interesting alternative. Occam's razor says we go with it until
> we have a reason to do otherwise.

Translation: "LALALALALA! I'M NOT LISTENING!"

> I hypothesise that you are a gerbil. Gerbils can't form rational
> arguments. Therefore you are wrong.
>
> Your burden-of-proof notion is completely backwards, and the above is
> an example of why. The burder of proof rests upon the one who wants to
> introduce an assertion.

I can demonstrate evidence that I'm not a gerbil quite handily. I even
have people in the Debian project who have met me and can back up that I
am, indeed, a person. I can also provide evidence that there is sexism
present in #debian, and on the whole. I hope you don't actually consider
yourself a scientist because you're really bad at this whole "Scientific
Method" thingy.

> > You replied to Manoj's mail, which was in the context of the larger
> > discussion. In addition to that, the example you cite is in the HOWTO,
> > which is a document written by a number of women who all share this
> > opinion completely outside of the specifics of the Debian proeject. Your
> > advice goes both ways.
>
> And here's what I said, quoting the entire text of the mail:
>
> > Hey, I remember that incident, and the author of the HOWTO has blown
> > it out of all proportion. Try talking to the people involved.
>
> Yup, precisely what I meant, and no references to anything else. What
> was that you were saying?

>On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 08:21:08AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>>       You have an alternate theory explaining the low incidence of
>>  women in male dominated activities like Debian, free software coding,
>>  coding in general, and CS overall?
>Sunspots. It's at least as convincing.

Manoj was talking about "free software coding, and CS overall" in
addition to Debian as a whole. The HOWTO you reference also deals with
the larger scope as an example. Do try and pay attention.

 - David Nusinow