Re: Just a single Question for the Candidates

On 05 Mar 2004 13:21:24 -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG <tb@becket.net> said:

> David Nusinow <david_nusinow@verizon.net> writes:
>> On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 07:58:03PM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
>> > The plural of "anecdote" is not "data".
>>
>> True, but then what would you suggest as an alternative means of
>> gathering data? Should we stick the users in a set of test tubes,
>> complete with positive and negative controls? I'd rather take what
>> information is out there (including my own observations, and
>> observation is the most critical aspect of data gathering) and use
>> it.

> I agree that Debian has a problem in this area and that it's worth
> worrying about and trying to fix.  I do not think that Helen has
> given us any information about it; she is guessing at what men
> usually do, and imputing that to us, and guessing about how women
> feel.  Not even an anecdote.

	I don't think she is guessing. Indeed, the men here have done
 exactly what she thought they would -- calling her a flake,
 mentally unstable, inexperieiced, and sexist.

	And I suspect, from the other reports that I have been
 getting, that she was merely being polite in not naming names.

> If we want to solve the problem, we may need to look beyond
> stereotypes and guesswork.

	If you pull your head out of the sand for a moment, you'll
 notice it is not just stereotypes and guesswork; there is a chronic,
 systemic, harrassment which is the bloody norm.

	manoj
--
Freed by full realisation and at peace, the mind of such a man is at
peace, and his speech and action peaceful. 96