Re: Just a single Question for the Candidates

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 09:10:45PM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> There is a massive difference between "working assumption" and
> "proven".
>
> "To use plausible arguments in place of proofs, and henceforth to
> refer to these arguments as proofs" was, I believe, originally
> referring to physics, but it was not intended as an example of what to
> do.

You've still not presented an alternative. The working hypothesis stands
simply because that's where the evidence points. The burden of
disproving it is on the naysayer. That's what science is, disproving
hypotheses by observations. Go for it.

> > > The anecdote presented was grossly mischaracterised and not an example
> > > of what it claimed to be.
> > There are other anecdotes.
> Which I was not talking about. Pay attention to the mails you are
> replying to.

You replied to Manoj's mail, which was in the context of the larger
discussion. In addition to that, the example you cite is in the HOWTO,
which is a document written by a number of women who all share this
opinion completely outside of the specifics of the Debian proeject. Your
advice goes both ways.

 - David Nusinow