Re: Just a single Question for the Candidates

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 08:54:05PM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> Absence of evidence is not justification for inventing evidence. If
> you can't prove something, that doesn't mean you should lower the
> standards for proof, it means that you can't prove it.

Just because you can't prove something doesn't mean that you can't work
with what's available. I can think of countless examples in biology
where people go on working assumptions because something isn't proven.
I'm sure you can too. Your excuse is amazingly flimsy.

> The anecdote presented was grossly mischaracterised and not an example
> of what it claimed to be.

There are other anecdotes. See Manoj's mail with the log in it, or the
various logs at http://www.p12n.org/misc/sexism/. Compounded evidence
certaintly lends weight to a hypothesis.

 - David Nusinow