Re: General Resolution: Handling of the non-free section: proposedBallot

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 03:09:37PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> On 2004-03-05 14:28:15 +0000 Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr>
> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 08:03:41PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> >>I'd say those users need better hardware rather than non-free
> >>drivers.
> >Well, this would be problematic for people trying to install debian on
> >preexistant hardware, or on assorted donated stuff or other older
> >hardware, don't you think.
>
> Those people already have the problem that their hardware does not
> have drivers in the Debian OS. No outcome for this GR changes that.
> Please direct your anger about these problems somewhere more useful
> than at this proposal.
>
> >I think i would rather vote for completely removing non-free and
> >forgetting about the packages
>
> That is your choice, of course. The proposal does not (cannot?) commit
> to any particular action on future hosting by another group.

I would be really interested in your response to the part of my post you
silently skipped, namely :

  Sure, but please tell me, if we are going to move non-free stuff to
  non-free.org, exactly how will that change anything over the current
  situation in regard with packages with problematic licences ?

Unless naturally you have no response to this question, and there really
no benefit at all in having non-free on non-free.org over having it in
the debian servers.

Friendly,

Sven Luther