Re: General Resolution: Handling of the non-free section: proposedBallot

On 2004-03-05 15:25:04 +0000 Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

I would be really interested in your response to the part of my post you
silently skipped [...]

I think you are just trolling and trying to make me restate past messages when I have no new data. I will reply and watch whether you respond honourably, or just flame.

  Sure, but please tell me, if we are going to move non-free stuff to
  non-free.org, exactly how will that change anything over the current
  situation in regard with packages with problematic licences ?

It will change nothing about those packages, but having them in the debian ftp archive has no positive effect on them either.

It will probably improve user understanding of what is part of the Debian distribution and what is not. How much it will improve is apparently unknown, but no-one seriously suggests it will worsen.

As you know, I think the best likely package benefit comes for those with unproblematic licences not hosted by Debian, but I see that you are careful to exclude that from your question.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ slef@jabber.at