Re: Just a single Question for the Candidates

    Helen> However, after reading over some of the posts to this
    Helen> thread, I think that was probably wrong. Both kinds of
    Helen> sexism are evidently around and healthy in this
    Helen> environment.  Of course not coming from all, or even the
    Helen> majority of people.  It doesn't take many idiots in the
    Helen> community to put your average interested woman off, if
    Helen> we're going to have to deal with that kind of attitude.
    Helen> And you wonder why there are few female debian developers?!

I personally don't recall any sexism on/at any Linux forums. Possibly
this is because I have forgotten. Are the following statements
true/false?

* The majority of Debian developers do the right thing, the problem is
  with the minority that don't.

* The majority of Debian fans do the right thing, the problem is with
  the minority that don't. (same as above, but including non-Debian
  developers).

* Sexism is more likely to occur in IRC and E-Mail then real life
  conversations.

    Helen> People who haven't already, could learn from reading:
    Helen> http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Encourage-Women-Linux-HOWTO/index.html
    Helen> especially the section about the problems women face in
    Helen> approaching linux communities.

Seems sensible reading, and could be beneficial even if only read by
people who already try to do the right thing.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>