Re: Just a single Question for the Candidates

Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 06:59:57PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > I think there's something sexist there--not in you, but in her.  If
> > there is any truth to the notion that men are better at being bullied,
> > then I think it is only because men get bullied more and have had to
> > learn to deal with it.
>
> This looks to me like a gross overgeneralization.  Furthermore, it's a
> rather dismissive overgeneralization (since it is, in essence, a claim
> that no other information exists, relevant to this context).

As I said, "if there is any truth to the notion that men are better at
being bullied".  I suspect there is not really much truth to that.
And I agree completely that it would be a gross overgeneralization.
Helen's complaint seemed to be: "I don't know much about Debian, but I
know they'll be mean to me, because they're boys".

I think her complaint is very poor.  But I agree quite a lot with some
of the other things people have said here that Debian *does* have a
problem about mysogyny, and I think we should try if we can to figure
out some ways of dealing with it.

> I also believe it to be a false overgeneralization -- for example, women
> tend to get significantly stronger negative feedback for being assertive
> than men do.

This is certainly true.  I don't think, however, that it's connected
to bullying.