Re: Just a single Question for the Candidates

Mike Beattie <mjb@debian.org> writes:

> "We're a previously persecuted minority, dammit, treat us special, we
> deserve the land you have worked hard for. even though we sit on our asses."

New Zealand, Australia, Canada, and the United States all have some
similarity vis-a-vis native populations.  But what you quote above
sounds a little like you think "We stole this land fair and square".

I mean, if the native peoples did in fact own the land, then it's
theirs, and they are allowed to do nothing with it if they choose, and
there is something wrong with someone coming in, stealing it, working
on it, and then claiming it's now theirs.

None of this means that *today's* Europeans have any blame, but our
ancestors surely did.  The land I am on was not merely "worked for",
but also "stolen".>

Thomas