Re: Just a single Question for the Candidates

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 06:03:43 +0000, Adam Majer <adamm@galacticasoftware.com> said:

> Being very frank here, I *really* do not think that changing the
> social demographic is in any way related to the Debian
> project. People either think they can or they think they can't join
> Debian.

	The primary motivator of the world outside debian, at least in
 wester societies, is the profit motive.  One works to make money. To
 put bread on the table.

> Currently most of the developers in the western world are
> men. Currently most of the new teachers in the USA are women. DPL
> can't be asked to change that. [Normal] Governmental policies can't
> even change that.

	Even if the DPL can't, raising awareness of the issue so
 people themselves can change is certainly something the DPL can
 do. Or do you really think that as a whole the debian developers are
 irredeemable?  That we can not take care of the few bad apples in the
 basket that are poisoning the table?

> So in a nutshell, I think that this point in moot. DPL can't really
> affect the DD demographics - it is up to the actual societies
> (ie. the world *outside* Debian and GNU :)

	Oh yeah, we in Debian can't possibly be any different from the
	societies we live in. Hmm. How much is my hourly rate to
	answer questions oin -user now?

> PS. Just a small note; since the Internet is rather anonymous, if a
> woman would feel apprehensive in posting a bug report, whatever, due
> to the fact the she may be identified as a women, well, just change
> the name to 'Bob' or something. No one will know!

	Yup. Just hide yourself. Buy a burka while you are at it, we
 men just can't bring ourselves to change our behaviour in any way --
 did I mention beetling brows?

	manoj
--
"We have met the enemy and he is us" Walt Kelly (in POGO)