Re: Questions to candidates

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Branden Robinson wrote

[ Sorry if I do not answer right inside the thread but the "Reply to"
  links in the webform do not work as expected and I did not subscribed
  to the list.  Please CC me, if you want to avoid this.]

> I'm not sure I can give you the kind of answer you're looking for.
Why do you expect me to look for a certain answer.  I just had the feeling
that some things should be discussed.  According to my point of view asking
questions is no expression of critics.

> >      While I think that he did a great job in terms of finding technical
> >      solutions he absolutely fails in communication with people.
>
> This is too broad a statement.
You are right here (as well as tbm) and I would like to correct my wording
to "he often fails in communication with a certain (and quite large) group
of people".  Sorry for the shortcut.
If you ask me if it is more important to get work done or to leave work undone
while working on communications skills I'd prefer the first.  So I have no
personal problems here which you might suspect when writing the first
sentence I quotet from your mail.
But Debien Leadership is no concern of personal feelings but representation
to outsiders.  I just wanted to make sure that the future DPL is able to
explain things to outsiders the correct way.  I just asked this question
in reflection to some private mails I've got (and which point I do not really
share).

> On a more serious note, it's safe to say that there are certainly people
> who have had trouble communicating with James in the past.  There have
> been people who had trouble communicating with Martin Michlmayr, too.
> There have been people who had trouble communicating with me.
It's hard to live in a real world. ;-)

> >      and ends with the inability to accept critics to his person.
>
> This is an overreaching statement.  How can you know whether or not he
> accepts criticism?  That he reacts to it (or not), doesn't tell you what
> he does with it internally.
There is no open archive of debian-private but I have some mails stored
in my private archive which leaded to this conclusion IMHO.  Again - I
have no personal problem with this as long as work is done fine - but the
DPL might have to face this situation.

> I think it is polite, to say nothing of expedient, to refrain from
> speculating as to the psychological processes of our fellow developers
> except as a last resort.
But I might have been tricked out by the fact that psychological analysis
can't hardly done by e-mail conversation and thus my assumption might be
wrong here.

> You're making pretty strong statements for someone who claims to have
> not been personally mistreated by James.  It's fine to be an advocate
> for people who do feel that way, but I think such advocacy needs to
> stick to objectively demonstrable facts.
I pointed the person in question to this URL in the archive.  He might
comment on.  I will not quote debian-private mails in public and so I
can not demonstrate here what leaded me to the statements I did.

> I am apprehensive about injecting real-world political opinions into
> this particular discussion, so if you'd really like to know what I think
> of the present U.S. administration, please ask in another forum.
I did not want to inject real-world politics here.  I know you from Oslo
and I have no need to ask about your political opinion.  I just wanted
to know if the future DPL leader would have problems to travel to one or
the other country which might be a constraint to his Debian related
work.

Kind regards

         Andreas.