Re: Questions to candidates

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Martin Michlmayr wrote:

> I think James is an excellent contributor to the project.  I know him
> personally, and I can assure you that he is not on a power trip.  He
Well thanks for the clarification.  I just want to make sure that this
explanation is given to _everyone_ (not only to me) who might have doubt.
My question was rather a concern to make sure to outsiders can see that
Debian has no hidden secrets but can discuss his problems open.

> something works as expected.  You only notice when it suddenly breaks.
> So if 95% of communication with James works well, we will never hear
> about it.  But we hear about the 5% which fails.
Damn users ... this is always the same. ;-)

> Having said this, I don't think the current non-free removal vote is
> being done correctly.  If we decide to remove non-free, we have to
> provide a good upgrade plan for our users.  Thus, I think we should
> *first* move non-free to something like non-free.org, encourage people
> to use new APT sources list while at the same time supporting the old
> APT lines (i.e. still keeping it on Debian mirrors) for a while.
Trick question: Do you plan to do this step before or after moving
documentation with non-free licenses to non-free. ;-)

> While I don't like these practices, I don't consider them off-putting
> enough not to visit a country if there's a good reason to go there.
> However, this has to be decided on a case by case basis.  As far as I
> know, EU citizens also don't have to get their finger prints recorded.
While this is intended by the law I know that the practice might
differ from case to case - but this is very off-topic here.  That's
why I named it "Meta-Question" and I do not really expected an answer.
BTW, Brandon might come into the same trouble when entering Debconf 4 ...

Kind regards

           Andreas.