Re: "keep non-free" proposal

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 04:43:19PM +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> You are missing my interpretation:
>
> [C] Debian is constituted by 100% Free Software. Software that is 100%
> Free Software, and distributed by Debian, constitutes that which is
> Debian.

In my opinion, this is a variation on [B], though actually it's a
bit worse.

It's worse, because it would mean that the people and resources of Debian
aren't what constitutes Debian -- that Debian is just software.

> So non-free is actually not part of Debian, but we distribute it
> nonetheless, as a service to our users. We may cease to provide such a
> service. (Ignoring as you say, the rest of the Social Contract.)

Yes, that's the other problem with this interpretation -- in addition
to ignoring most of what we are and have been doing, it ignores the rest
of the social contract.

Thanks,

--
Raul