Re: one of the many reasons why removing non-free is a dumb idea

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 08:31:03AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> > >   Packages not distributed by Debian can take advantage of this
> > >   utility too.  They just need to add a "send-to" header to the
> > >   control file /usr/share/bug/$package/control.
> >
> > A, nice, this would be fine for the users, but decidedly not for the
> > maintainer.
>
> Why?  Adding one single file to the package, which takes about 30
> seconds and must be done only once, is a huge burden?

I wonder whether it would be possible/helpful if reportbug would get
modified so as to ask the user "You seemingly want to submit a bug for a
non-free package to the Debian BTS. Debian does not distribute non-free
anymore. Do you want to submit it to submit@bugs.nonfree.org
instead [Y/n]?"

Additionally, one should be able to tell reportbug to just use the
alternative location.

That would catch a lot of problems I guess, until the non-free packages
have kept up with that /usr/share/bug/$package/control file.

Michael