Re: Draft for a non-fee poll (Was: Re: Let's vote already...)

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 03:26:44PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Why would we want something non-binding?  I cannot think of a single
> > situation in which that will actually resolve anything.
>
> Why not ?
>
> Once we have the result of this, first it will put a stop to the whole
> speculation on what the DDs really want and enable us to go forward
> constructively than all this mess that is surrounding this question, and
> second, we can then propose a 3:1 social contract GR, which will benefit
> from an idea of what will happen later.

But we could just as well propose a 3:1 social contract GR now, without
the intervenng lag of a poll, and let it stand or fall on its own
merits; and if people prefer to have some other wording, amendments can
be proposed under the procedures we already have.

> Like, you know, if the majority of the DDs want to keep non-free, then
> there is no sense in having the social contract GR remove the words
> about the non-free issue, and we can have a clean GR which only does the
> nice cosmetic changes Branden has proposed.

We can have both, even without the poll; one GR and one hostile
amendment that get voted on at once.

I personally would not see an informal poll as necessarily indicitive of
how the results would play out in a formal vote.  I suspect others would
share that sentiment.

-- John