Re: Another Non-Free Proposal

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 11:58:46AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 09:53:37AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> > I don't expect anyone to want to set up a non-free archive until a
> > decision is reached to remove non-free.  Doing so would go a long way to
> > proving it is possible, and thus towards defeating their own preference.
>
> Huh? Why do you think the only people able to setup a non-free archive
> are ones that want to see it kept in Debian?

I did not say *able*.  I said *want*.  If you are going to argue with
me, please at least argue with what I actually stated.

> And if you think that "doing so would go a long way" toward getting
> non-free *out* of Debian, why don't *you* do it? Set it up, make sure
> it works, maintain it for a few months, then pass it on to people who
> care about it.

I have no interest in a non-free archive, and besides, if I find
something Debian is doing to be distasteful, what makes you think that
me doing it personally would be any less objectionable to me?

> Personally, I don't understand how people can, on the one hand, suggest
> nonfree.org as a reasonable way of helping our users, and on the other
> hand refuse to work on it claiming such behaviour would be unethical,
> even though it supports the arguments they're making and would aid in
> a goal they seem to think is desirable.

First of all, logically speaking, any possible contradiction between
different someone makes has no bearing on deciding whether either of
them is true.

Now then, I don't see a contradiction at all.  For those people that
value non-free, I can suggest an alternative solution that would make
them happy, and which I find *LESS* objectionable than having non-free
as part of Debian.  That is, to me, a gain.

-- John