Re: RFD: amendment of Debian Social Contract

A few editorial gripes:

> We promise to preserve your right to freely use, modify, and
> distribute Debian operating system distributions.

Firstly, I'm not sure that "operating system" is a good way to
describe Debian these days.

Secondly, this sentence sounds clumsy due to overuse of "distribute".

I suggest this as an alternative:

We promise to preserve your right to freely use, modify, and
distribute the Debian system.

> We include the guidelines we use to determine if a work is "free" in
> a document called the Debian Free Software Guidelines.

That should read "the document" instead of "a document", and probably
"provide" instead of "include".

> In furtherance of these goals, we will provide an integrated system
> of high-quality works of software and other materials with no legal
> restrictions that would prevent these uses of our operating system
> distributions.

Clumsy; the clause is too long. I suggest this:

In furtherance of these goals, we will provide an integrated system of
high-quality materials, with no legal restrictions that would prevent
these uses of our operating system distributions.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |