what is the purpose of quorum?

I try to maintain a web page which explains our voting system.
You can find this page at

Among other things I want to explain the reasons for our changes to
the textbook version of Condorcet voting with clone-proof Schwartz
sequential dropping.  Currently the page states

   The Debian voting system differs from plain Condorcet voting in
   several important points.

     * ...
     * It introduces the concept of a quorum.  A quorum should assert
       that there are no decisions without a sufficient number of
       electors. ...

but in my opinion this description only fits for a more tradition
global quorum requirement (i.e. when the whole election is cancelled
if there are not enough electors).  What reason should I give for the
introduction of our per-option quorum?