GR: Removal of non-free

The effort to modify the Social Contract has stalled, and had
degenerated into more dancing around this old issue. It's way past
time to decide what we're actually going to do. We can work out how
to do it later.

I propose the following resolution:

The next release of Debian will not be accompanied by a non-free
section; there will be no more stable releases of the non-free
section. Uploads to the non-free section of the archive will be
disabled as soon as is feasible. The Debian project will cease active
support of the non-free section.

Some constraints have been applied here on when these things will
happen, but most has been left deliberately vague. The fate of the
files currently in unstable/non-free is deliberately unspecified.

This conflicts with the Social Contract as it currently stands. I am
aware of this and I do not care; we can fix the Social Contract
later. This probably prevents us from *acting* on this resolution
until after the Social Contract has been modified (which I intend to
pursue immediately if the resolution passes), but that doesn't really
matter - the intent here is to decide what to do about non-free, and
to commit to doing it for the sarge release. Later resolutions for
reform of the Social Contract can be more effectively drafted once the
outcome of this decision is known.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |