Re: missing development package?

On Mon, Mar 04, 2024 at 10:38:18AM +0000, thyme after thyme wrote:
> Hi t,
>
> thanks very much for the help. Responses below:
>
> On 2024-03-04 10:05, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > There's an automatic way to do this: install the build
> > dependencies:
> >
> >   sudo apt-get install build-dep <your-package>
>
> I get an error:
>
> ~ $ sudo apt-get install build-dep xfce4-screensaver
> [sudo] password for m:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Unable to locate package build-dep
> ~ [100] $
>
> The man page tells me the syntax is actually apt-get build-dep [pkg],
> not apt-get install build-dep [pkg]. That gets me to here:

Eh -- sorry, yes.

> ~ $ sudo apt-get build-dep xfce4-screensaver
> Reading package lists... Done
> E: You must put some 'deb-src' URIs in your sources.list
> ~ [100] $

That's right: in your /etc/apt/sources.list (or in some file
under .../sources.list.d/ at your preference) there must be
a way for your installer to find the sources. Something akin
to:

  deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ bullseye-updates main contrib non-free

(the details are different: you are at least on trixie, I guess,
and you might want to choose another source).

[...]

> > Are you building xfce4-screensaver from the Debian package source,
> > or from upstream?
>
> >From git master at the aforelinked gitlab repo.

Note that Debian might have some patches to make the package
buildable in Debian context; so installing Debian's build
deps is just an approximation.

If I were you, I'd first install the Debian src package and
its build deps, build that, and work on from there.

Cheers