Re: After installing no access to the installed system.

On Mon, Mar 18, 2024 at 11:44:32AM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 18, 2024 at 03:24:14PM +0100, Thomas Schweikle wrote:
> > Package: Debian installer
> > Version: As on Debian live-CD/DVD for Debian 12.5
> > Severity: critical
>
> Note that you sent this email to the debian-user list, not to the bug
> tracking system.
>
> > 6. For User and Passwort enter
> >     Full name: demo Demo
> >     Username: de-de
> >     Password 1st: start123
> >     Password 2nd: start123
> > 7. Click install
> > 8. Wait until the installer finishes and reboots into this newly installed
> > system
> > 9. Try to login with the credentials given above:
> >     User: de-de
> >     Password: start123
> >
> > The newly installed system just tells: unknown user or password, user or
> > password wrong. You wont be able to login.
>
> I wonder if it's the hyphen character.  Maybe the installer transforms
> that into an underscore, or omits it entirely?  That's just a guess.

Hyphen seems to be fine, at least according to the useradd(8) man page.
It has even a paragraph referencing Debian, mentioning the restriction
that the hyphen not be at the beginning of the name. But who knows. Perhaps
something else breaks.

Cheers