Re: Orphaned Inode Problem

On 2/21/24 08:17, Henning Follmann wrote:
On Wed, Feb 21, 2024 at 12:00:17PM +0100, Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:
Hi,

did you take a look at the smartctl output?

Somewhere I read, for maintainance of an SSD all it's cells should be read
from time to time like this

sudo dd if=/dev/DEVICE of=/dev/null bs=8M status=progress

Where did you read that? That seems like a huge waste of time.

where device is something like sda or nvme0n1, especially if it was switched
off for a longer period. At least, it shows the current read performance of
the device.
An SSD should regularly be trimmed, if in use. This is to assist it's wear
leveling process.

If you should manually kick off trim is a hotly debated issue.
It mainly depends on the use of the drive.
In most cases however do not alter any of how the system was install by
your friendly installer.

That actually might be a good idea, as it will force a read of everything, which will trigger a fixit it for any cell that does read right on the first try.

OTOH, my pi's only get powered down for maintenance, so they've got lots of spare time to do their thing when you are not looking, And i've not lost a pi u-sd in quite a few years. So even though the system, with all the trash collected over a decade might amount to 10G's, they have 64G to play with. I must be doing something right.
What's your opinion?
How much time do you have :)

-H

Cheers, Gene Heskett, CET.