Re: Orphaned Inode Problem

Henning Follmann wrote on 21/02/2024 14:16:
On Wed, Feb 21, 2024 at 12:00:17PM +0100, Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:
<snip>
Somewhere I read, for maintainance of an SSD all it's cells should be read
from time to time like this

sudo dd if=/dev/DEVICE of=/dev/null bs=8M status=progress

Where did you read that? That seems like a huge waste of time.

As far as I remember, the idea behind this suggestion is to help the SSD firmware detect bad blocks or cells early on and to mask them out. Of course, a good firmware with it's wear leveling algorithm (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wear_leveling) should do this by itself.

Regards,
Jörg.