Re: red SATA cables "notoriously bad"? (Was Re: Orphaned Inode Problem)

On Dienstag, 20. Februar 2024 06:58:31 -03 Eike Lantzsch ZP5CGE / KY4PZ
wrote:
> On Montag, 19. Februar 2024 21:48:52 -03 Andy Smith wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 19, 2024 at 04:12:44PM -0300, Eike Lantzsch ZP5CGE /
> > KY4PZ
> wrote:
> > > The notorious red SATA cables - I threw them out long ago. The red
> > > pigment eats up the fine copper threads, changing the impedance of
> > > the cable and eventually making false contact before failing
> > > completely.
> >
> > I've never heard of this. I did a bit of searching around and all I
> > can find is assertions that cable colour doesn't matter for SATA. I
> > can't seem to find anything about red pigment damaging the copper.
> > Have you got a reference so I can learn more?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Andy
>
> Experience ...
> "notoriously bad" on my work bench.
> Audio cables, SATA cables, even red cables of 1.5mm2 upwards. The
> corrosion can be seen although it takes decades for the thicker cables
> to deteriorate.
> It very much depends on where the cables have been manufactured.
> Never had problems with European made or US made telephone cables with
> wires with red sheeths. But copper cable manufacturing has been
> outsourced to Asia (and Argentina - Pirelli but those are good) many
> decades ago.

If you open the sheeth of the red SATA cable, you will see that at least
three wires have no extra sheeth but are directly embedded into the red
plastic. 4 are shielded. So I guess that those wires are not affected.
There is one naked wire in the middle and two to the right and left.

--
Eike Lantzsch KY4PZ / ZP5CGE