Re: Timer doing apt update

Erwan David <erwan@rail.eu.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> After each boot, the equivalent of apt update is automatically done in
> background, through policykit (apt database is locked by
> policykitd). So I think there is a timer triggroing this. I'd like to
> disable this when my laptop is on expensive link (eg 4G link, or
> abroad). So I'd like to disable this timer, but I did not find it. If
> someone knws better than me...

If you're using the package unattended-upgrades (I'm not sure it ties to
policykitd), then there are instructions in the Debian wiki at
https://wiki.debian.org/UnattendedUpgrades#Modifying_download_and_upgrade_schedules_.28on_systemd.29

The timers in question are apt-daily.timer and apt-daily-upgrade.timer.

Come to think of it, just running apt update shouldn't generate much
traffic.