Re: Unable to install phpMyAdmin in Debian 12

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 26, 2023 at 01:56:44PM +0300, Petros Pap wrote:
> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
> password: NO)

^ scripts trying to connect to MariaDB as root with no password.

> Note: I have already setup password for root in mysql
> mysql -uroot -p
> working

Doesn't matter; that's not what the scripts are doing.

You need to arrange it so that:

# mysql -u root

works (no -p)

Normally MariaDB uses socket authentication for root@localhost, i.e.
if you're root you can log in as root@localhost through unix socket
without specifying password.

> How do I solve this issue?
> Resetting password for root?

I think you might need to remove your password for root@localhost
and return it back to socket authentication.

If you want to allow both kinds of authentication, that is possible
since Mariadb 10.4:

MariaDB> ALTER `root`@`localhost`
    IDENTIFIED VIA unix_socket
    OR mysql_native_password USING PASSWORD("letmein1")

But I think for the sake of Debian package scripts, root needs to
have socket authentication available.

Cheers,
Andy