Re: X11 should not run as root or?

On Sat, Jun 03, 2023 at 12:11:47AM +0000, therealcyclist wrote:
> Am Fri, Jun 02, 2023 at 07:52:03PM -0400 schrieb Greg Wooledge:
> > No "needs_root_rights" here, so I don't know why yours needs it.  Maybe
> > it's got something to do with driver selection?  If I recall correctly
> > from the days when this change was made, some cards that use legacy
> > drivers may need special configuration.
>
> graphic driver is nvidia.
> secureboot is activated with mok (debian default key).
>
> what makes you think it's different with e.g. amdgpu?

I was thinking of these changes in Stretch:

 * For many Intel graphics chipsets, the Stretch X server will use the
   modeset driver instead of the intel driver. The modeset driver may
   require non-free firmware (firmware-misc-nonfree) to activate features,
   even on systems which did not use this firmware under Jessie.

 * For some older graphics chipsets, support has been relegated to
   "legacy drivers", which require the old setuid X server to run. Install
   xserver-xorg-legacy if you require one of these drivers.

Text from <https://wiki.debian.org/NewInStretch>.  This may have nothing
to do with your issue.  It's just the first thing I could think of that
could possibly be related.