Re: Debian 11 upgrade to Debian 12

On Tue, Feb 28, 2023 at 06:32:27PM +0000, Tixy wrote:
> On Tue, 2023-02-28 at 13:16 -0500, Timothy M Butterworth wrote:
> [...]
> > All I did was modify /etc/apt/sources.list from Bullseye to Bookworm, then
> > I ran apt update and apt upgrade. I guess I could have run apt full-upgrade
> > and that probably would have worked better.
>
> It would have. If you looked at the release notes [1] it suggests
>
> # apt upgrade --without-new-pkgs
> # apt full-upgrade
>
> Then lists some possible issues and there remedy.
>
> [1] https://www.debian.org/releases/testing/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#minimal-upgrade

It's also worth mentioning that in bookworm, non-free firmware has been
moved to a new section called "non-free-firmware".  If you use any of
that -- most people do! -- then you either need to change "non-free" to
"non-free-firmware" or to "non-free non-free-firmware", depending on
your specific needs.