Re: Recommended simple PDF viewer to replace Evince

On Wed, Dec 06, 2023 at 12:09:09AM +0700, Max Nikulin wrote:

> On 05/12/2023 18:30, Tom Browder wrote:
> > When I manually print via Evince It seems to sometimes change important
> > settings like page scaling and orientation.
>
> I had an impression that GUI print dialog may remember some settings from
> its previous invocation. Unsure if it is relevant to evince.
>
> I believed that CUPS stack is based on PDF while earlier PostScript was
> used. Filters used to get output specific to particular printers use poppler
> library. (I do not see direct dependency on poppler in evince despite I
> expected it). Poppler was forked from xpdf. Current upstream xpdf-4 version
> is a qt application while v3 in Debian has Xt GUI and some issues with
> non-latin scripts. Xpdf-3 is fast for text documents, but may be slow in the
> case of large JPEG images.

I've used Xpdf from Arch, and it's an entirely different program. My
understanding was that the Arch version depended on poppler. I can only
imagine that the version in Debian is different because there is a
licensing issue with the poppler code. Just a guess.

--
Paul M. Foster
Personal Blog: http://noferblatz.com