Re: Hardware for a back up server? [WAS Re: How to use dmsetuup?]

On Sun, 12 Nov 2023 15:17:17 -0500
Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> > FOSS is great for learning by doing, but commercial products can be
> > a better choice when a family member, a friend, a neighbor, and
> > especially clients and employers, want a computer, a server, a
> > network gateway, etc..  It is ironically satisfying when those
> > commercial products have FOSS on the inside.  :-)
>
> Indeed, technically-inclined people are often better served with Free
> Software, and Free Software can also be a great choice for large
> corporations who can either have on-site techsupport people or can
> hire external support, but it is a lot more difficult to find
> commercial support for merely non-techie user.  This is mostly the
> domain of proprietary software :-(

And not always then. I did the IT work for a tiny company that used MS
Small Business Server, and they were entitled to support from MS. I
found the SBS user newsgroup (sponsored by MS) to be much better for
support help. A few of the regulars were MS employees, but there were
several other frequent helpers who were not.

--
Joe