Re: How to use dmsetuup?

David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:
> On 11/5/23 01:04, Thomas Schmitt wrote:

> > Lesson learnt: Never overwrite the two youngest backups.
>
> I try to use the term "backup" to mean a data copying process whereby
> older data is overwritten by newer data.
>
> I try to use the term "archive' to mean a data copying process
> whereby the copy is never modified or erased.

You're entitled to do that I suppose, but I don't suppose most other
people do. They separate the words by their meanings and purpose.
Backups are intended for use recovering information that has become
lost. Archives are places to keep information for long term storage.

So your definition of archive is correct. But your definition of backup
isn't. It's perfectly reasonable to have more than one version or age
of backup, but it's also perfectly reasonable to erase them at some
chosen age or version.

It is perfectly reasonable to discuss 'the two youngest backups', IMHO.