Re: linux-image-amd64: kernel fails to find all nvme SSDs

Hi Jeff,

On Sat, Oct 14, 2023 at 05:18:52PM -0400, Jeffrey Mark Siskind wrote:
> I purchased a new server: Supermicro AS-8125GS-TNHR. It has 17 NVME
> drives installed:
>
>     1x Micron 7450
>    12x Micron 9300
>     4x Micron 9400
>
> Upon boot, /dev/nvme* only shows 10 drives: the Micron 7450, 8 of the
> Micron 9300s, and 1 of the Micron 9400s.

It is strange that you get SOME of all of these drives. If it were
some sort of missing driver issue I'd expect an entire class of
drive to be missing.

I'm wondering if it is worth contacting Supermicro for hardware
support over this.

As there is apparently no version of a packaged Debian kernel that
works for you here, it may be even more worth using the latest
upstream kernel. If things do not work there then I'd pursue matters
with the upstream kernel community rather than Debian, as it seems
likely that the problem exists upstream and will need to be solved
upstream (assuming no actual hardware limitation).

Thanks,
Andy