Re: [a bit OT] Automate a (G o o g l e) search from a list of strings

Le 20-09-2023, à 08:46:06 +0000, Andy Smith a écrit :

Hello,

On Wed, Sep 20, 2023 at 08:13:43AM +0200, steve wrote:
Le 19-09-2023, à 16:52:24 +0200, Nicolas George a écrit :
> what you intend is completely forbidden by Google's terms and
> service. And they have detection: please only do this on a
> computer and network access when you will be the only one
> inconvenienced when they block your access. It happened on a
> computer I co-administrate.

Why would it be forbidden, I just want to automate what I could do
manually? Nothing evil in my approach.

Google terms of use forbid mechanization, automation and scraping of
their service. And as Nicolas says, they do check, and they do
punish offenders. At best you'd be hoping that the volume of your
queries falls below their radar. But I wouldn't risk it.

A typical punishment is to require a CAPTCHA be solved for any query
from your netblock to any Google property, which is immensely
annoying.

I have had to terminate my own customers on multiple occasions over
their inability to take this exact issue seriously, because it
really upsets OTHER customers when they suddenly need to solve a
CAPTCHA to do a search query or look at their email.

Thank you very much for this very clear explanation, I didn't know that
(never read those terms of use to be honest).

I ended up doing my searches by hand, it took some time and that's all
right.

Best,

s.