Re: Fresh install, Bookworm, XFCE keeps recreating directories

On 16/09/2023 10:09, Greg Wooledge wrote:
Altering the contents of an existing file in ~/.config/ upon login
sounds incredibly wrong to me, to the point where I have a hard time
believing it's a default behavior.

user-dirs.dirs(5)
The $HOME/.config/user-dirs.dirs file is a text file that contains the
user-specific values for the XDG user dirs. It is created and updated by
the xdg-user-dirs-update command.

xdg-user-dirs-update(1)
On the first run a user-dirs.locale file is created containing the
locale that was used for the translation. This is used later by GUI
tools like xdg-user-dirs-gtk-update to detect if the locale was changed,
letting you to migrate from the old names.

So the declared goal is keeping folder names consistent with the current locale.