Re: sata driver compataility Q

On 9/15/23 15:56, Dan Ritter wrote:
gene heskett wrote:
Greetings all;

I've just ordered some stuff to rebuild or expand my Raid setup.
This 16 port sata-III pci-e card:
<https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09L184W57?smid=A2H818KAC5I4D1&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp&th=1>
along with a bigger drive cage, cables and such and some gigastone 2T drives
to make a raid big enough to run amanda. And maybe put a new card in front
of my 2T /home raid10.

The card claims linux compatibility.

Can anyone advise me on the gotcha's of such a 16 port beast?

What you actually have there is 1 SATA-3 controller which should
be able to support 4 disks, and 4 port multipliers to support
16.

Effectively, every group of four disks is competing against
themselves. So performance is going to be mediocre.

Since the pci-e plug is the narrow one I suspected as much, the data path is too narrow, This asus mobo has 6 ports but I'd assume the mobo ports would be wider, perhaps even x4 but it is also not stated, The existing 4 1T per drive raid10 is on its own x1 based 6 port controller. The other 2 ports are not used at present,

This setup worked instantly under buster and bullseye, but takes from 30 secs to 5 minutes to open a write requestor window asking where to put the download I clicked on under bookworrm. And just as often as I've mentioned it the subject of the reply if any, is changed w/o changing the subject line, to ignore it.

It should work, though, as a giant dumping ground.

Such as an amanda backup raid, and running it the wee hours, I could care less how long it takes as long as it is done by 05:30 or 06:00. If I can rearrange the usb breakouts, I can uncover another pci-e x1 socket for this card.

But why are you buying 16 x 2TB disks, if not for performance?

I'm not, I'll only have 6 of them when the rest get here. One of them may go into one of my milling machines to replace the last spinning rust on the property.

I've never heard of Gigastone and can offer no assessment of
them.
Relatively new on amazon. A month ago nearly the only 2T available, in a month the 2T list has been had the decimal point shifted right at least 1 place. And the prices have risen 10 bucks. $89/copy today.

-dsr-
.
Take care and stay well, Dan.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.