Re: usrmerge on root NFS will not be run automatically

On Fri, 8 Sep 2023 12:26:38 -0400
Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:

> Can you start a temporary VM directly on the server?

I just checked. I can, yes.

> If so, you can
> * stop your remote Debian machine

Ok, no problem.

> * run a Debian rescue image in the VM on the NFS server

No problem.

> * have the VM mount the filesystem directly

How? I can only attach devices (=whole disks) to the VM or mount the
FS via NFS. I can't attach it as a device because it's not a device,
rather than a directory with the root file systems of several hosts
directly on the server. So that doesn't work.

This leaves me with an NFS mount in the VM. But NFS mounts are not
supported by usrmerge, that's the whole issue I'm facing here.

So this VM-on-the-server idea doesn't work in my case or am I
missing something here?

Another question: if usrmerge complains that the file is present in
/lib as well as /usr/lib, what's the correct thing to do if

i)  the files are identical
ii) the files are different ?

Regards
Marco