Re: X: how to *really* switch from nouveau to modesetting?

Felix Miata wrote on 9/11/23 19:57:
You did it. You made the switch. But see below.....

(There are multiple components to GPU support in Linux.)
(There is no "the" nouveau "driver". Graphics support is in the hands of multiple
software components, several of which incorporate the string "nouveau" in naming.)

I'm glad that you understand this stuff. It certainly seems non-obvious. And the days of good O'Reilly books that walk one through details like this seem to be long gone :-(

From the rest of your post, it sounds like everything is as it should be, except that I should probably remove the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. And I could also re-install the xserver-xorg-video-nouveau without effecting any change; but for now I think I'll just keep things as they are and just note these as possible changes to try sometime, with the expectation that they won't make any practical difference, but might make the system a bit cleaner to administer.

And, from what you say here:

> D. R. Evans composed on 2023-09-11 11:47 (UTC-0600):
>
>> Graphics:
>>     Device-1: NVIDIA GF108 [GeForce GT 430] vendor: Gigabyte driver: nouveau
>
> Above shows your kernel DEVICE driver is nouveau. It ships specifically for each
> kernel with each kernel. For NVidia GPUs there is no other FOSS device driver
> option for normal use with KMS enabled, which maximum possible FOSS performance
> unconditionally requires. With KMS disabled, there is a crude generic option with
> limited resolutions available that no one ever would use purposely unless too
> naive to understand the opportunity loss. It's for fallback and troubleshooting
> when normal is unavailable.

it sounds like the issue must be in the nouveau kernel device driver, and there's nothing I can really do to change that.

So I guess I will just wait and hope that some future update removes the problem.

⁂

Just for the record, to provide some context for anyone finding this thread as a result of a search:

1. The issue is that black-on-white text has a "tail" extending some distance on the right of the text (I don't know how to describe it any better than that).

2. It began with a normal bullseye update. Before that, there was no problem at all.

3. Every update and upgrade since then has exhibited the problem.

4. The monitor is KVM-switchable to another bookworm installation, which does not (and never has) exhibited the problem.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://enginehousebooks.com/drevans