Re: Cannot install Debian 12.1 on VirtualBox

On Sat, 12 Aug 2023 at 17:40, <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

> I see there that he has two possible solutions:
>
>  - Install 11, then upgrade to 12, which option you don't care for.
>
>  - Install in legacy-boot mode, rather than in UEFI mode.
>
> Is the second option viable for you?

That was it, EFI! Normally when I install an OS on VB for the first
time, if it does not work with EFI I disable it, or vice versa.
However in this case I created this VM long ago, so it never occurred
to be that it would go backwards, so to speak, from working with EFI
to not working! Oh well, in hindsight it is obvious. Sometimes one
misses what is in front of one's nose! One reason I missed it is
because in my past experience if it does not boot due to EFI or not
EFI, it stops at the very beginning, unlike in this case where I got
to the first screen that has the menu for graphical install, etc.

Thanks for your help. However the root cause is still unknown, why
Debian 11 and some earlier versions can be installed with EFI enabled
in VB but not Debian 12. But I won't worry about that.