Re: Adding backup storage

On 8/5/23 17:47, Andy Smith wrote:
Hello,

On Sat, Aug 05, 2023 at 03:03:54PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
What doc should I follow to bring these 2 drives into one volume managed
partition for amanda's use as a vtape device? I'd assume the volume
management works by now, but it was a data losing disaster 15+ years ago
when I last tried it.

I could, since amanda is quite versatile, set it up as two separate vtape
drives.  So I'm open to a pro/con discussion.  Thanks all.

I don't know Amanda. If that is simple, and the redundancy (what you
lose when a drive dies) is managed in Amanda so that it's not
catastrophic to you, then I recommend that you do this.

I don't think that volume management on Linux has got any simpler in
the last 15 years and I strongly suspect that your earlier woes were
user error, so it's even more important to go with something that
you are familiar with.

Myself, without Amanda in the picture, I would RAID-1 them and put
them in LVM, or btrfs mirror them. But I'm explicitly advising you
not to do this if you had problems with it 15 years ago.

Do bear in mind that SSDs are not designed for long term unpowered
data storage, unlike conventional HDDs, so that could be a
consideration if you're intending to use these SSDs stored outside
of a computer and unpowered, tape replacement style. Apologies if
you knew that already.

I have read that, but have not experienced it personally. What failures I've had I can blame on filling a low capacity card up so it didn't have room to do its housekeeping,

Thanks Andy
Cheers,
Andy

Cheers, Gene Heskett.