Re: debian image questions

Andy Smith <andy@strugglers.net> wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> Your question is more suited to debian-user so I've redirected
> there. Please send replies there (I've set reply-to for that purpose
> also).
>
> On Wed, Aug 02, 2023 at 08:40:51PM -0400, Bill Miller wrote:
> > why cant i just install Debian from a digital cloud? i dont
> > understand why i need physical hardware to run digital software?
>
> You don't. Roughly 60% of our customers choose Debian¹ (another ~30%
> Ubuntu) to run on their virtual machines and Debian is available on
> all major clouds. Also if you prefer container technology like
> Podman or Docker, Debian is represented on those registries also.
>
> What are you actually trying to do?

I suspect you both may be misinterpreting the OP's question. I think he
is asking about doing a net install without needing to start with a USB
stick or similar.

AIUI the issue is that the installer is started by booting the system
into it, so some bootable device is needed to boot from. Whether it
would be possible for some application to be written for linux and/or
Windows and/or MacOS etc that downloaded the installer and booted into
it I don't know, but I see some obvious difficulties.