Re: AMD GPU hard lockups

On Wed, 2 Aug 2023 22:37:50 +0100
piorunz <piorunz@gmx.com> wrote:

> On 02/08/2023 22:29, Celejar wrote:
> > The Z440 officially supports up to an NVIDIA Quadro K6000 12GB, which
> > draws 234 watts, so it ought to be able to handle my Red Devil RX-570.
> > The Red Devil specifies a minimum system power of 450 watts, and my
> > Z440's PSU is 700 watts:
>
> More detailed info:
> https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/powercolor-red-devil-rx-570-oc.b4455
>
> Your GPU max TDP is 150W, meaning it will draw 75W from PCI-E slot and
> 75W from 8-pin cable.
> Your 8-pin adapter must have been very poor quality. I don't know what
> kind of adapter it was, but adapters which make 8-pin from 6-pin, are
> dangerous. Better to use 2x 6-pin -> 1x 8-pin adapter to correctly
> assign wires to each corresponding pin.

I'm not sure I understand your point: if we assume that the fact that
my adapter burned indicates that my particular adapter must have been of
very poor quality, than this implies that such adapters in general are
not dangerous (which, as I've noted, is supported by the fact that
reputable companies sell them, with no warnings that they're dangerous).

--
Celejar