Re: homebrew for debian or ubuntu

Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> Homebrew only supports the last release or two on MacOS. Today, you
> might see support for Version 13: "Ventura" and Version 12:
> "Monterey". Anything else and you had to use MacPorts.

Or pkgsrc*, which isn't quite as popular but supports (or can be made to
support) pretty much everything and it's a good citizen. Sticks to its
own prefix.

On Debian I use it to use newer versions of a handful of command-line
tools and libraries (for development and testing). I don't have it added
to my PATH by default so it doesn't get in the way. It doesn't work so
well for GUI apps though, doesn't pick op fonts and themes so it's tofu
everywhere. Possibly something that can be fixed by tweaking some
configuraton somwhere..

*) for disclosure, I maintain some packages on pkgsrc

Sijmen