Re: Nvidia graphics driver naming convention

On Sat, Jul 15, 2023 at 09:48:34AM +0200, Nicolas Marie wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I've got three workstations using different Nvidia GPU. I upgraded them from
> Debian 11.6 to Debian 12:
>
>  * The first one is a Geforce GT520 (Fermi) so I used the package
>    *nvidia-graphics-drivers-legacy-390xx* and it works like a charm.
>  * The second one is a Geforce 1050 Ti (Pascal) si I used
>    *nvidia-graphics-drivers* which is the version 525 and it also works
>    like a charm.
>  * The last one is a Geforce GT730 (Kepler) so I have to use the Nvidia
>    driver version *470*.

https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers gives the canonical instructions
- I think that one's old enough that nouveau also works well with it too.

> There isn't any package named *nvidia-graphics-drivers-legacy-470xx*, like
> we can find for the 390 mentioned version or the older 340 version. As a
> workaround, I used *nvidia-graphics-drivers-tesla-470* and all the GLX stack
> / SMI utility / nvidia-settings utility. Basically, all seems to be working:
>
>  * The nvidia module is built through the DKMS workflow and loaded.
>  * The GPU is recognized.
>  * The basic graphics acceleration (KDE windows effects / GLXGears)
>    works without any glitch.

See above.

> P.S.: I know that this question type should be escalated during beta states
> but, since I used the Debian Bullseye Backports packages for nearly one
> year, I wrongfully believed these drivers were be maintained in the next
> Debian release.
>
> Thanks for your answer.
> Regards.*
> *

My standard advice also is to build Nvidia drivers from a bare CLI text only install *before* going back to install a desktop environment and preferably using
the expert text mode install, but that may well be overkill.

It does, however, prevent nouveau or any other conflicting packages causing
problems if you are determined to use hte proprietary drivers.

As ever, your mileage may vary.

With every good wish,

Andy Cater