Re: configuring zathura's print preview

On 7/9/23 12:16 PM, debian-user@howorth.org.uk wrote:
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
On Sun 09 Jul 2023 at 10:42:52 -0700, Paul Scott wrote:
On 7/9/23 4:40 AM, Brian wrote:
[...]
The file displayed by zathura is not the file that is sent to the
printing system. The latter can be viewed by using Print to File.

The print dialog converts your PDF to a new PDF with Cairo
Graphics. Scaling is also done by Cairo Graphics. CUPS is not
involved.
That's good to know and seems somewhat illogical!  Would it be
reasonable to ask if you know why?
(snip)

Now that I know that the paper size is correct I see that "lp"
prints my file perfectly.
The fonts are embedded in the original PDF. CUPS prints what it is
given.

If the file were not the correct size I would have liked to use the
scaling and page choices in the print dialog.

Does

lp -o "letter"

scale the document?
This is an option unknown to CUPS. It will be ignored.
I don't use lp very much but according to
https://www.cups.org/doc/options.html#OPTIONS

  $ lp -o fit-to-page -o media=Letter filename

should do what the OP wants.

fit-to-page reduces too much.  Page Setup/Scale in the print dialog gives me what I want.

Paul