Re: Please help with not booting from USB so to install Debian

Am 08.06.2023 um 20:36 schrieb Rodolfo Medina:
> I want to install Debian on a new machine but don't manage to boot from USB
> stick.  (I can do so regularly with another machine, so the USB stick is ok and
> so is the Debian netinst I burned onto it.)  At the boot I press F9 and a menu
> appears where I can choose to boot from USB stick; but then it doesn't so at all
> booting instead into Windows 11.  In BIOS I enabled the CSM protocol but
> nothing.  Please help as I don't know what to do: thanks.
>
> Rodolfo

Sorry, i have no experience with this concrete issue. Last time, i
experienced USB boot issues, it did help to just use another USB-port
instead. ;-)

But honestly, i see many hints and advices are coming, but still the
cause of the problem has not yet been identified, which would be my
first attempt in any case.

Since you confirm, that booting from the stick is possible on another
machine, it cannot be, that the stick itself doesnt work. But does that
other machine also have the same processor architecture (celeron ...)?

IIRC it is possible to boot a 32-bit OS on a 64 bit machine (not
recommended, but possible), whereas the other way round would just fail.

Sure, in here Windooze is regarded as a nuisance, but even windows can
inspect its boot config and determine, how the machine is coming up, if
the disk has GPT or MBR (probably the first), and you might be able to
find out, if your setup allows ANY booting from USB (like non flash
storage).

Even without aspiring for completeness, i was suggesting different areas
being possibly of concern, like
- hardware (usb, processor)
- bios (setup)
- version mismatch (partition tables, OS-architecture)
- there may be more (like secret holes leading to hidden switches)

Once the cause will be identified, it is going to be much easier (or
just plain impossible) to remedy the problem. And please report back,
what you found.