Re: 60-serial.rules, broken

On Thu 08 Jun 2023 at 11:47:25 (-0400), gene heskett wrote:
> On 6/7/23 14:04, Darac Marjal wrote:
> > On 07/06/2023 15:37, gene heskett wrote:
> > >
> > > /dev/serial/by-id has not been created for quite some time.
> > > The arm folks have had a patch script for quite a while but it
> > > has not been fixed in debian that we know of. I have 4
> > > identical banana pi's, 3 of which seem to work, but the patch
> > > has not fixed the 4th on for some unk reason.
> > >
> > > When a serial device is plugged into a usb point, /dev/ttyACM#
> > > is created on all 4 machines, but /dev/serial/by-id entries
> > > are not. Some of the 3d printer stuff uses that by-id thing to
> > > separate printers plugged into the same host, and the lack of
> > > a /dev/serial entry kills the 3d printer drivers.
> > >
> > > Can anyone give us a hint as to when this will be addressed?
> >
> > The subject suggest that it's "60-serial.rules" which is broken.
> > This would be a udev rules file.
> >
> > If you know the contents of the patch, couldn't you just create
> > your own rules file which implements this patch? Is there any
> > particular reason why you need to wait for Debian to make the
> > change?
> >
> biggest reason is to prevent its (60-serial.rules) being overwritten
> by an update if apt discovers we've overwritten its broken defaults,
> or if replaced, is replaced by an even better version.

Of course it won't. The package provides /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-serial.rules
which you should leave strictly alone for APT to handle. You would
create /etc/udev/rules.d/60-serial.rules and APT will never touch that.
Files under /etc/ take priority over those under /usr/lib/ when their
filenames are the same. That's how both udev and systemd work.
See RULES FILES under man 7 udev.

Cheers,
David.